Johnson County Child Custody Lawyer

Whether you are divorcing, separating or ending a relationship in which you were never married, resolving custody issues is of crucial importance to the future security of your children. No one would want to do anything to harm their children. Yet many parents do by using their children as pawns in the breakup of a relationship.

At the law office of Weston R. Moore, Attorney, at Law in Olathe, Kansas, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your child custody case.

 Legal and Physical Custody

There are two types of child custody in Kansas:

  • Legal custody, which is the right to make important decisions about issues such as health care, education and religious upbringing. Legal custody is shared unless there are strong reasons (such as child abuse or drug use) that would make one parent unfit.
  • Residential custody, which is where the child will live. In most cases, the child will live with one parent most of the time while the other parent has visitation. However, joint residential custody plans are possible when the two parents communicate well and live in the same school district.

We know from experience that family law judges expect separating or divorcing parents to exercise caution and reason, and to resolve child custody disputes in a timely manner to prevent undue disruption in the lives of children. The best interests of children are paramount in the achievement of fair, livable child custody and visitation orders.

In the future, you will need to communicate with your ex on child care issues. You will also need to attend future events together, such as weddings and christenings of grandchildren. For these reasons, and for the health of your children, it’s important to treat your spouse respectfully during your divorce.

 Modification of Child Custody

Child custody orders can be changed after divorce if it is in the best interest of the child.

 Free Lawyer Consultation

To discuss your child custody case with Olathe attorney Weston Moore, call 1-913-782-7075 toll free or fill out the contact form on this site.

Ratings and Reviews